Thursday, January 15

Audible

I like football. I played a little bit in high school (emphasis on the word 'little'). I ended up at a college that didn't have a football team, so there was no way that I was going to make it into the NFL draft--so I abandoned my dream to play professional football.
That hasn't stopped me from watching it. Now you need to know that I'm not a rabid fan--I don't have to watch every game, and I don't stay up late catching up on all the latest insider talk on ESPN. But I do like to watch the game.

I'm amazed at the skill of the quarterback to be able to 'read' the defense and then call an audible play to try and switch things up at the line of scrimmage. It's cool if it works, and it's even cooler if it works for the team that I'm cheering for.

The point is, even professional football teams have to make mid-game adjustments in order to win. I think that church leaders should be able, and willing to do that too.

We're doing something like that at FVC. We've had some good discussions as leaders lately, that the 'once-a-month' board meeting isn't getting things done. We're not a normal church, so why should we have normal board meetings?

So we've made a decision to fundamentally change the way that we meet. We're going to spend more time praying and growing, and less time talking about logistics, finances and processes. In effect, we've called an audible. We've stepped up to the line of scrimmage, seen some things that we're not content with, and we're going to make a change.

Let's see if it was the right call...

No comments: