Monday, August 2

One week

It's been a week since I resigned as the lead pastor of faith venture church. It's been a rough week for sure. Lots of emotions, lots of thoughts racing, lots of people willing to pat me on the back and tell me that it's going to be okay (what they don't know is that I'm secretly planning on asking them if it would be okay if I moved in with them when things get REALLY BAD).

We're adjusting to the future that lies before us. Just in case you haven't heard, we're preparing to leave our beloved Colorado and move to wonderful, beautiful Ashland, Kentucky! I'm told that the mountains aren't nearly as high there, but the valleys are twice as deep! (it's a joke kentucky people)

As it is right now, the plan is that Michelle will be leaving with the kids on or around August 18, I'll stay to finish out my last week @ FVC, and then hopefully SELL THIS HOUSE so that I can be reunited with my wife and children. (you can all say a prayer for us for that one)

One of the most frequent questions that I've been asked since last Sunday is: Are you quitting the ministry? The answer is no, but I won't be leading a church either. As of now, God has not provided another opportunity for me to lead a church. Why? I don't know. I'm convinced that I don't need all of the answers to trust and follow God.

Another question (more closer to a leading suggestion) has been: Are you mad at The Church? The answer is no, but I'm not looking at it the same way either. This is naturally where you ask: "Well, how do you look at it now then?" To which I would reply, I don't know, just different. Maybe I'll come around to my pre-resignation outlook of the church, maybe I won't, but either way, I've been stretched, and I'm learning a bunch, and my love for the church hasn't changed. Jesus died for the church, just like He died for you and me. If Jesus loves it, then I must as well. I remember early on in this journey, Dr. Larry McKain (my coach and mentor) pounded into me a deep love and respect for the Bride of Christ.

As a matter of fact, my last four sermons as the pastor of faith venture are centering on the church, and what must happen for the dreams, hopes and ambitions of a handful of people in 2005 to continue to live on. If you want to know what I'm going to say--come to church in the weeks ahead, or you can e-mail me--dale@faithventurechurch.com. I'd love to hear from you.

All in all, we're coping. It's tough getting the house ready to sell--going through the memories, doing all of the maintenance work that I HAVEN'T done and now must do, and emotionally getting ready to say goodbye to 12 awesome years (mostly awesome) of ministry and life in Denver.

God is good. At least I keep telling myself that between panic attacks.

No comments: